The AIDS Services Foundation Orange County’s tradition of caring was started in 1985 by a small but dedicated group of volunteers.
Today, volunteers are critical to the continued success of AIDS Services Foundation and to AIDS Walk Orange County. The organization and its team are grateful for the everyday contributions these special heroes make to ASF and its clients.
Whether volunteer help out once a week or once a year, the team appreciates the special service to its clients.
Volunteers help save ASF hundreds of thousands of dollars each year, thereby allowing for expanded client services.
- Through booth displays and public speaking, ASF reaches potential volunteers and supporters and provides the public with accurate information about HIV/AIDS at corporations, churches, health fairs and other community events.
- Volunteers assist with Kids Club, a support group for children affected by HIV-related issues. Volunteers also assist with ASF’s annual Family Camp and with other special events/activities for children and their families throughout the year.
- Volunteers are essential to food pantry operations. In-house volunteers fill orders and stock shelves. Other volunteers deliver food to homebound clients.
- Volunteers help with a variety of tasks, including data entry, bulk mail, filing, shredding, photocopying and auditing of charts. Volunteer receptionists also cover our front desk on Monday through Friday from 1 to 5 p.m. By helping ASF staff with office duties, these volunteers help staff meet clients’ needs, do referrals and make home visits in a timely manner.
- RADAR is an ASF satellite project located in Santa Ana. RADAR (Rendering Access to Disease-Prevention Advocacy & Retention) focuses on HIV intervention and prevention among young Latino men, aged 18-49, who have sex regardless of age, gender, or ethnicity. The project’s goal is to increase HIV testing and linkage to medical care, facilitation of patient navigation, and distribution of condoms.
- Volunteer opportunities include outreach (various hours), data entry, and social media promotion.
- The volunteer spirit is at the heart of ASF’s fundraising programs. An important reason why ASF is able to devote an exceptionally high percentage of its income to client services is the imagination and dedication of hundreds of volunteers who organize our annual charity events such as: AIDS Walk Orange County, Orange County Ride for AIDS and ASF’s Annual Gala. Volunteers help with setting up events, registering guests, serving meals or beverages, assisting with silent and live auctions, running event booths or games, assisting with event breakdown and helping with post event reconciliations and mailings.
- Qualified volunteer fitness instructors assist our client work-out group to achieve their fitness goals on a weekly basis.
- Volunteers with many different skills and qualifications assist ASF in a number of ways including hair styling, catering, tax accounting, graphic art, journal/writing, marketing/public relations, music, theatrical production, photography and Spanish language translations.
Times vary depending on the program. Volunteer interaction with clients depends on the volunteer opportunity. An initial interview and current TB test will be required for most programs. Some volunteer activities require additional training. Family programs require fingerprinting and a background check.